Cioppino (Fish Stew) New York Style Recipe
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 springs fresh thyme
2 teaspoons oregano
½ red pepper flakes
1 28 ounce can San Marzano whole tomatoes with juice
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup clam juice (bottled)
12 little neck clams cleaned
12 mussels cleaned
2 pounds Prawns
1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined , may substitute lobster or crab
1 ½ pounds of red snapper fillet, remove skin, cute in medium pieces
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Add the olive oil into a large stockpot, heat using a medium flame
- Sauté’ onion and garlic until translucent, 3 minutes, then add thyme, oregano and red-pepper flakes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and their juice, white wine, water, and clam juice, bring to simmer.
- Add the clams and mussels until slightly opened, then add prawns, shrimp, and red snapper to the stockpot. Simmer covered, until fish is opaque, Prawns and shrimp are pink. If any clams or mussels did not open, discard.
- Remove pot from heat, stir in parsley, Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with warm crusty bread and enjoy!
Recipe by Chef Jen